Business Retention and Expansion
Knowing the condition of your local businesses is more important than ever.
That’s why an effective business retention and expansion program is more than
just collecting data, it’s about building relationships to help Arkansas
communities win their share of plant consolidations and to assist businesses
with the resources and connections they need to succeed.
Entergy’s Teamwork Arkansas is pleased to provide communities with a framework
for their local business retention and expansion program. The following
five-steps and accompanying guidebook can help your community launch a
comprehensive program that focuses on one of Arkansas’ most valuable assets –
its existing industries:
1. Get Organized
· Identify a champion
· Establish goals & timelines
Identify key partners & local resources
2. Gather Background Information
· Identify your Most Valuable
· Research company & industry info
· Develop a
communication tool (survey)
· Create a database to house info
3. Industry Relations & Direct Info Gathering
· Assess level of
relationship – formal/informal?
· Practice successful on-site visit
Meet with company executive & gather info
· Always follow-up on what
4. Solve Problems & Identify Opportunities
· Enter info in a
· Review data & analyze risk factors
problem resolution or seize opportunities with key partners
reasonable expectations. Always follow-up!
5. Maintain Program & Public Relations
· Communicate &
· Meet regularly based on goals & timelines
Re-evaluate goals – BR&E is an on-going process
For more information on how to get started, contact Sherry McDonnell,
Community Development Coordinator, at (501)377-5882.